Thursday, May 23, 2013

belated before + after

I am beginning to feel like this blog should be renamed “the Friday Farmhouse blog” since it seems those super quick posts are the only ones I am getting around to lately!  With a legit post here or there in between.  Well this one is a hybrid – quick and legit. 

It’s pretty simple.  See way back when I had my little getaway to visit a friend in Cali, we had planned on me sprucing up her sad little back patio with tons of potential for little greatness while I was there.  Not that she doesn’t have great taste – she does – she just hadn’t gotten around to it yet.    But instead we fixed up a little corner of her kitchen. 

Here is said corner in its time of need…

DSC_0022

Leah’s little old house is pretty tiny and as things change over the years, houses like that end up having some awkward spaces in them.  This one has no dishwasher, so it has the variety which you roll across the kitchen floor and hook up to the sink.  Right next to a stove, standing alone on a wall.  Right next to an awkward empty corner.  And then the fridge.  It’s like our American need for appliances for everything just expanded this kitchen right in to mayhem, with crowded countertops and cabinets on one side and an empty wall of appliances, an unused door and no counter space on the other side. 

Leah thought bringing in any other furniture items would just make it more cluttered.  I insisted it was not so and pulled out my Type-A on her hiney.  We went to Ikea. 

And the after…

DSC_0025

DSC_0028      DSC_0031

…that little corner is FUNCTIONAL!  See, awkward spaces, if left empty will be seen as “darn, that’s an awkward little corner”, while if finished off would be seen as, “that’s a good use of that space” – all mention of awkwardness GONE!

The little Ikea fix brought in some color and style and brought her cooking utensils closer to the stove instead of their previous location across the kitchen.  Totally completed that little corner.  Win-win.  That schoolhouse chalkboard kills me – so adorable.  And I think Leah was happy in the end.  So maybe my Type-A isn’t completely horrible.  Just maybe.  I still have a complex about this discovery regarding myself.

This cloudy nasty rainy week has made me remember that I need some more of this…

DSC_0033

And maybe a little more retail therapy – Cali style. 

 

Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Of course I love it! You did a great job. But...you need to come back and finish THE REST OF THE HOUSE! Also, I cringe of those pictures of my kitchen. Such a cheese house. I need some color in that kitchen!

    ReplyDelete