Saturday, March 24, 2012

easy peasy shelf-mounted jars tutorial

 

DSC_0265_txt

haha, easy peasy.  Can you tell I have some little girls in my life?  They never say the word easy without peasy.

Well this project is easy peasy, for sure.  I know you have seen jars with the lids mounted to the underside of a shelf.  I am here today to show you how easy it is.  This is a great way to save space and be able to grab supplies with one hand.  Here are some great examples on Pinterest (1, 2, 3).  I am going to be looking for those sweet jars with gingham lids… I think it might be a jam I have seen in the grocery store!  So cute.

Anyway, this is what you will need…

DSC_0254_txt

Super basic supplies:

Power drill makes this even easier; screwdriver + more muscle will work too.

Screws that won’t go all the way through the thickness of your shelf.  Also, screws need to have a sharp tip meant for wood, not a blunt cut off tip (it wouldn’t puncture the lid).

Jars with lids, duh.

So first I put my jar lids on the carpet, so they would have a soft backing that a screw wouldn’t hurt.  You could also use enough layers of cardboard that together were thicker than the length of your screws.  I drilled the screws through the lids, eyeballing the center…

DSC_0260  

That is much easier than holding them on the shelf while trying to get the screw through the lid.

Once the screws were through the lids, I just eyeballed them where I wanted them on the underside of the shelf, and screwed them into place…

DSC_0261

Then I screwed the jars into the lids…

DSC_0263

If that ain’t easy peasy, I don’t know what is. 

DSC_0268

DSC_0264 

Handy, right?  That’s DIYable for pretty much anyone, I would say.

Where would you install these little organizing space savers in your world?

 

Godbless and happy weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment