Monday, August 1, 2011

over the mountains and through the woods

 

Last weekend my hubby and my out of town guest and her hubby all abandoned me for the weekend, so I took the kiddos over the river and through the woods to Mom’s house.  We had a lovely time.  The first night, Mom had to share her newfound freedom with me.  Yep, Dad has officially given Mom permission to take the Jeep out…

DSC_0918

DSC_0923

We visited the site of a forest fire a few years ago…

DSC_0915

My Creator designed a beautiful and resilient world for us to live in.  So amazing how fast the vegetation comes back and how some trees and so many animals can survive catastrophe.

DSC_0925

Being in civilization and looking out at mountains is pretty, but being in the mountains, looking out at more mountains is another story.  The wilderness just goes on and on.  Humbling.

The first night the herd of elk we were looking for skunked us, and we only saw some deer…

DSC_0931

Then we found the herd the second day…

DSC_0967

DSC_0953

DSC_0944

They are very elegant and graceful.  The herd is all girls, called “cows”.  The bulls are not hanging out with the women folk this time of year – they only come around when they want something, if you know what I mean.

DSC_0965

DSC_0978

On the sunset ride back to the house our friend and neighbor showed us some crazy weeds and I had to pick some…

DSC_0987

Those are not regular old dandelions, they are called Salsify, and are like giant versions of the dandelion…

DSC_0992

DSC_0981

I tried to get an artsy shot of Mark blowing the seeds away, but no such luck.  For one, he is a boy. 

DSC_1000

For two, they were kinda tough to get off the stem…

DSC_1017

DSC_1018

DSC_1019_caption

DSC_1021

It was so windy it was impossible to catch the little seeds drifting off, because they were immediately swept away.  My little subject got an “A” for effort though! 

DSC_0991

Mark said they looked like “little parachuter guys”.  Very true.

A fun and pretty trip.

DSC_0996

 

PS - Have you heard about the Pinterest Challenge!?  I will be posting my Pinterest-inspired project here tomorrow morning!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment