Monday, June 27, 2011

thrift junky finds & a sweet treat

 

I’ve been thrifting again.   My last trip was a big success.  Maybe it is because my man was kind enough to keep the kiddos and let me do errands by my lonesome self = with a clear mind.  =)  Before I had kids I never would have guessed that doing errands by myself and/or having a clear mind were such valuable commodities.

Sorry - before I get to the thrift store finds, I forgot to share a successful recipe with you - my friend’s Lemon-licious Biscotti

DSC_0032

I made them before our ladies’ trip and they were very successful in adding inches to our waistlines.  Thanks for reminding me, Esther!  =)

And also, look what the little diva wore this week while stomping on the kitty…

DSC_0320  DSC_0324

 DSC_0325  DSC_0326

I showed you all three of those stomping pictures because it was not just a coincidental shot – it really is her goal in life to squish the kitten somehow.  Anyway, she saw that swimsuit in the laundry pile and had to wear it.  I might have drawn the line if we were going somewhere, but I tend to let her wear whatever she wants when we are around the house. 

And the latest breaking news is that Susie has started talking!!!!!  Yes, actual words!  Halleluiah!  Phew!  She says: please, thank you, eat, uh-oh, help, up, ow, drink, juice, go… I’m surely forgetting a few… oh yeah, ‘cheese’…

DSC_0328

She is constantly jumping into my camera frame now yelling “CHEESE!  CHEESE!  CHEESE!” until I take some shots and then show her the image on the camera.  It’s okay because sometimes I get ones like this…

DSC_0331

And then there’s Mark, of whom I only get these…

DSC_0337

He requested I take that photo, and that is what he did.  Boys.

Okay, so without further ado --- my latest thrift store finds:

DSC_0367

All for $66!  I consider that a good deal.  That quilt alone would have cost me that much new, and I really got a lot…

First off, that cart on casters was only $4.99!  Reminds me of the industrial goodness at the State Surplus store.  I plan to use it at a sale I’m doing this winter, and it will surely land some place around the house and look cute in the meantime.

And Leah, you probably already noticed this, don’t kill me okay…

DSC_0368

Top and center in that picture are two old loaf pans with the funny bumpy shiny finish.  Leah found one at Farm Chicks and used it for organizing kitchen gadgets.  I got the pair on top for $4.99 and the big one they are sitting in for $3.99.  I completely copied her organizing idea…

DSC_0405

Now I want every drawer in my house to be completely full of them, creating all different sized compartments to keep my stuff from flopping all around.  And I noticed they are all numbered by size…

DSC_0407 DSC_0397 DSC_0406

So cool.  Easy to collect a certain size.  Loaf pans are now on my routine thrifting list. =)

Okay, more in that pile…

DSC_0368

…inside the large loaf pan is an old english plate ($0.99; project coming up soon), a couple vintage tea cups  ($0.69/ea), cute juice glasses ($0.69/ea; juice glasses are on my routine thrifting list – I am creating a mismatched set), a huge pickle jar (I stole the lid off one marked $5.99 and got this one with the stolen lid for $0.69 because it didn’t have a tag =), and the mirrored vanity tray I got for $6.99 - I saw some cute spray painted ones on Etsy recently.  Same project as the little plate… can you guess?

 

DSC_0369

I got all this yardage for mostly $0.99 each (the two yellow florals were vintage pillow cases) and one or two were $1.99, and also the vintage embroidery hoop for $1.99 (I want to make hoop art like Ashley made at Meg’s!). My mom recently gave me a similar hoop that was my grandmother’s, so I am holding on to them until I come up with a couple more, and then I’ll tackle a hoop art creation. 

I got this huge basket for $6.99 which I badly needed to hold our lincoln logs – looked better after some parts formerly known as handles were snipped away…

DSC_0374  DSC_0395

It once looked scraggly but now looks loved and aged.  There are a few missing weaves but they don’t bother me.

DSC_0400

The kids like having the lincoln logs handy.

Lastly, a sweet tin with a gingham lid for $0.69 and this pretty quilt with scalloped edges…

DSC_0386

It was marked $19.99, which I thought was a little high, and then I found a small hole, so I got the manager to mark it 20% off.  Still I hesitated, but I felt like I could fix the hole, so I went for it.  It was cute and simple and feminine and will be a great layering piece  for my room if when I ever get my quilt done.

Kids are stirring and that is all I got, besides one last “CHEESE!”

DSC_0383

1 comment:

  1. Score at Goodwill! That cart is amazing, and that tray...and I am so jealous of the loaf pans! All that stuff is easily Farm Chicks material. Good work!

    ReplyDelete