Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wedding Cake?


So, a friend is getting married this summer. The wedding is going to be the best country, ho-down (sp?), summer BBQ, picnic style gathering of friends and a boot tapping time, for sure.

The budget, however, is not so well endowed. Never fear, a bunch of friends with big ideas can do a whole lot on a little budget. That is why I am pitching in and trying to tackle the cake. I am testing out this cake for the wedding...


Outside it looks like a pretty normal wedding cake but inside...


Ohhhh inside.


I cut two cake rounds in half using kabobs as guides, then add 3 layers of filling. Each layer has strawberry freezer jam (made with love by yours truly), then real fresh strawberry slices, then a little of the whipped cream frosting with a hint of white chocolate...


Oh man, it is summer defined in a cake. Fresh. Strawberry deliciousness. And that whipped cream with a touch of white chocolate is ah-mazing, and I am not even a white chocolate fan.

But last weekend at my mom's, we tested the cake recipe as cupcakes, layering two cupcakes on top of one another...


I thought they turned out adorable! However, the flavor was not as richly distributed as with the layered cake, and they were extremely tipsy - we had two or three topple right over. If I was a real cake baker, I would make tons of miniature layered cakes like Leah made...


But, I am not a real cake baker. So, I made the executive decision: One layered cake for each table. What do y'all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment