Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Yellow Church Cafe

Okay, Leah requested me and Mom's Sundried Tomato & Feta Pasta recipe several weeks back and I told her I'd get right on it. It turned out to be a lie. I decided I couldn't do it until I made a trip to the source. See, we copied the recipe after a dish from our favorite place to eat in Ellensburg, the Yellow Church Cafe. And that Yellow Church Cafe is worthy of a blog post.

And finally, me, Mark and Susanna treated Mom to lunch at the sweet cafe yesterday.


And it really was a church, by the way. You walk through those doors into a sweet and colorful cafe, full of touches of the church's history. It was built in 1923 for the German Lutherans. Churchy details abound, from the stained glass accents...


to the booths resembling church pews...


to the balcony dining area...


there are touches of old church style everywhere.

I love the bright colors, and the blue ceilings make it feel like a sunny day inside the Cafe. The kitchen is small and visible from the dining area. They also have an espresso bar and a selection of wines (the owners started the Ellensburg Wine Works).


Here is what the specials looked like that day...


Mom chose a soup and salad combo (I forgot to photograph), and I chose a delicious heavenly loaf to share with Mark...


You can't even imagine the warm, cheesy goodness steaming out of that loaf!

And a side salad...


And, the aforementioned Penne with Sundried Tomatoes & Feta...


And after all that, it still took much willpower to say no to these homemade treats...


They bake their own sweets, and I know from experience that they are devine! I recommend the carrot cake.

They also have a very nice selection of gifts and tea products from Tea Forte, which are super fun, especially if you know any ladies that enjoy a fine cup of tea.


So, without further ado, here is the much awaited Sundried Tomato & Feta Pasta Recipe I posted to TastyKitchen. You really should try it if you are a pasta person; it's really easy and quite good. And if it's not your thing, at least stop by the Yellow Church Cafe next time you go by Ellensburg, and give another one of their dishes a try - I am sure they will not disappoint!

Post Script- if you want to make it just like the Cafe does, here's PW's post on How to Chiffonade Basil. It was most helpful to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment