Thursday, March 4, 2010

Product Review - GE Profile Dishwasher

I'm already back with another Product Review.

Our old dishwasher was 3 years old when we got it, almost 7 years ago and it was having problems recently. We had to take the dishwasher out for our re-tiling project, and we didn't want to put it back in since it was about to fail at any given time and cost us about $164 in parts. So we kicked it to the curb and started hunting on Craigslist for a newer (used) model.

Somehow, it got in my head that the GE Profile was the 'top of the line' series as far as mainstream brands go, and husb wanted to make it worth our while to get a new one, so that is what I started hunting for. I found one a short ferry ride away, and husb negotiated the price down and went to get it when he returned from his Mexico missions trip.


It is the "deep" style, where the door goes all the way down to the hinge in one piece. I don't know how to explain this, so here are stock pics of non-deep vs. deep...


See, the one with the deep door looks much more clean-lined, right? What it also does is allow more room inside for dishes! Our previous dishwasher would only allow room for 4 dinner plates before the spray fan would hit them and make washing that load of dishes very ineffective, making the deep style a must-have for me.

So this is the load of dishes I had after entertaining the night we got the dishwasher.


I know; not the biggest load of dishes you have ever seen, but it's what I had to work with. As I loaded up the dishes, I found one thing I love - the little prongs that stabilize your dishes are all on hinges and can snap down out of the way for big items...


See the prongs under the pot? Makes it much easier to cram in big or bulky items!

And this is the best test I have for cleaning capability. Here are the nastified screens for my sink drains, after 10 days without a dishwasher...


And that is tapped off in the garbage and well rinsed with scalding hot water. That is some stuck on junk. I loaded all the dishes in, along with these drain screens, and ran it through on Normal, for testing purposes. These are the all cycle options it has...


This is how the load all fit in...


Really nicely, with extra room. It was easy to load and find places for everything. Most importantly, this is how the screens looked when they came out...


Spic and span. That is one jalepeno seed keepin' it real in the photo, but all the goo is completely gone, and the seed fell off with a touch, so I'm thrilled. And including ferry fees, we got it for $147 - not bad for a 3 year old dishwasher that was in a vacation home, barely used, and would have been $1200 new!

No comments:

Post a Comment