Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mom's Craft Room

One of the ongoing projects at my Mom's house is her craft room. We got most of it done last year, and are finally getting around to finishing it, so she can get ready to host some scrap booking and crafting retreats now that she is retired. This weekend we did lots of brainstorming, and didn't do a whole lot to the room, but I decided to share pics nonetheless, since most of the room is done.

This is the main craft area of the room, directly to the right when you walk in...


On the to-do list is to select and buy new chairs; I am leaning toward Ingolf Chairs from Ikea...


On the right, we have the desk where she keeps the paper cutter and Cricut...


The shelves hold accents, catalogs, manuals and decor. The bulletin board holds cute snapshots that didn't make her scrapbooks. The bulletin board is made with cork squares tacked to the wall with upholstery style tacks and framed with painted casing.


To the left of that station, on the short wall between the desks, are some Ikea benches, housing decor, and supplies...


Beside the benches is a tall, white dresser that I would like to replace eventually with something wider, with more style and character. I made the picture hangers on the back wall from painted and distressed scraps of wood and glued on painted, distressed clothespins to hold pictures or artwork.

To the left of that is the other desk, where most of the crafting and scrapbook composition takes place...


The 12 x 12 paper holder was a gift from me, and so was the dot artwork on the floor. To make the artwork, I purchased a blank canvas, penciled in circles by tracing a cap, mixed various colors of paint along the color scheme of the room, and used the different colors to fill the circles. The spinning caddy holds all the tools she needs handy.

Panning slightly left, we can see the whole front of the room; the craft area on the right, and a sitting area to the left...


I really want to add window treatments, but these A-frame style windows are a bit tricky. I'm not sure if I want to do rattan blinds on the square windows and ignore the triangle windows on the either end, or do breezy panels on the square windows and either ignore the windows on the ends or try to make some sort of slanted rod pocket to hang panels on the ends.

We found an old, aged wood window with 8 panes in the game room, which Mom said needed to go in the green house, and I said it needed to hang from the ceiling in the peak above the door in the craft room. I didn't get it done this week because I wimped out and wanted a man to help me hang it to ensure it didn't fall on someone's head later. Men are good for that.

We also decided that we need new chairs in the seating area. I like the Hibiscus Wing Chair from Pier 1 Imports. Wouldn't these add so much spunk to the room?


They go with our scheme really well, too.

This is the unfinished side of the room...


The Grandkids' toys are incorporated, since they like to play while we craft during visits. The wall on the left will feature a love seat eventually. I like the Banana Settee from Pier 1 Imports...

With this cushion...
Behind that, I have a mural planned. A tree will be painted on the wall, and have Mom's relatives displayed in frames on the branches. It will be a nice way to display all the hard work she has done on her genealogy and family history. When she hosts a retreat, she will move the love seat in front of the toy benches and add a folding table on the wall for the guests to work at.

I love the little magazine table re-purposed as a printer table. I picked it up for $10 at an Estate sale down my road, and Mom ended up stealing it. It's okay; it's cute holding her printer and supplies...


That's all I have for now. Stay tuned for a tour of neat houses in Mom's neck of the woods, coming tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment