Saturday, February 13, 2010

House Interrupted - Demolition

We are neck-deep in demolition!

The hardest part of the demo was removing the extra layer of particle board sub-floor in the bathroom. It actually was the most rotten thing I have ever made my husband do. It took him a day and a half. Here he was getting started, with his ever-present assistant...


That lasted all of five minutes before he called the rental place and had me pick up this Tile Stripper beast...


He could barely get it out of the car, it was so heavy, and had a killer sharp blade, but did nothing to peel up the sub-floor. It seems the glue has done it's job very well and fused the particle board sub-floor to the plywood sub-floor, making one layer which has to be chipped off bit by bit. So he sent me for this Husky Air Hammer and a big chisel attachment...
Imagine a chisel which does the hammering for you -- just hold on tight! But, it only lasted less than a half hour before the spring broke. So husb sent me to return it and get this one...
Which didn't fit the chisel attachment we had, so I had to go back out again! I drove around all day yesterday! Which actually was better than being in the house trying to keep a 3 year old trapped in his room and trying to make a 2 month old sleep through the air hammering.

But the demo is done and the bathroom looks like this now...


No more sub-floor! Good job, Ty! I love how thorough he is, too, making sure nothing will be forgotten or misplaced... ; )


The kitchen looks like this...


And the hallway...


I will be back with the afters, in a few days, and hope to fill you in on another project I am doing for my sister-in-law in the meantime!

2 comments:

  1. does this mean you get out of cooking sense there is no oven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but I feel like crap eating frozen food and snacking on packaged foods all day! I might be motivated enough to start really cooking again after this!

    ReplyDelete